Tuesday 25 September 2012

Burning Fat - Choose a Dojo


 Today I made a momentous decision, the weight, a burden I’ve carried for far too long, has to go. I’ve tried dieting in the past (I’ve ate low calorie, I did Atkins (while I lost some weight on this I found it a horrible physical experience), I tried the Cabbage Soup diet, I even took Xenical to stop my body absorbing fat, I played rugby, I would push myself past breaking point in the gym, none of this was effective or provided a lasting change. Western medical science and nutritional advice failed me. I did the ‘right’ things, I gave up things that I was told ‘were not good for me’ but none of this worked so being naturally inquisitive and a nerd I turned to the internet and google in particular to help me out.

There were all sorts of sites, offering all sorts of ways to help me with one catch…they all wanted my money. As luck would have it the Paleo community seemed to be a little more accessible to new people with short arms and deep pockets. There was a wealth of information to be shared. Many people will look at a Paleo diet and think it’s a fancy Atkins. But unlike Atkins, Paleo really concentrates on the nutritious quality of the food eaten which is great, I like the idea of fuelling my body with the best stuff.

Choose a Dojo

Having chosen to adopt the Paleo route I had to pick a plan to entrust my health and wellbeing in, now there are dozens of great Paleo sites and I’m sure I’ll link to articles on many of them as this blog progresses but I eventually set my sights on www.bulletproofexec.com run by a guy called Dave Asprey. Dave was a man of similar dimensions to me in the past, he weighed a similar amount, both of us were tall and both of us had tried many different diets and exercise programmes without success. Unlike me though, Dave was a dotcom millionaire who spent $250k on researching and experimenting with weightloss until he struck gold. And in a wonderful piece of good karma he gives all his information on his ‘bulletproof’ plan away for free. You don’t need to buy a book telling you what to do, it’s there on the site for you. He also shares any new information he comes across to visitors on his site and best of all before he recommends anything to his readership he’ll try it on himself first. While he does have products for sale on the site they are there for convenience, if you can find the things you need elsewhere (And being that he’s based in North America and me the UK) then he couldn’t give a hoot. While not strictly Paleo and not derived from it, the Bulletproof diet and Paleo share a lot of common ground, Dave’s attitude appears to be, if something quantifiably works it’s in, if not, it’s out. He’s not just about diets though, he’s what’s known as a biohacker. He actually managed to hack his brain to increase his IQ 30 points and hacked his sleep, cured illnesses and ailments. I do find this ‘biohacking’ concept appealing and will see if I can implement any of these on myself as well as the primary goal of weightloss.

So tomorrow it begins. I’ll need to source food items and supplements, I need to source a high quality coffee free of mycotoxins. I’ll leave you with my personal tale of the tape. I’m keeping this all on a spreadsheet and will chart my ongoing progress.so we can track changes in body composition, weightloss, etc. I’m going to keep it all imperial, Weight will be in pounds, Measurements in feet and inches. Screw you, metric system!

Vital Stats


  •  Age 33 
  • Height 6’2″ 
  • Current Weight 334 lbs 
  • Neck 21″ 
  • Chest 58″ 
  • Waist 46″ 
  • Starsign Capricorn

No comments:

Post a Comment